Built in sections beginning in 1911, the buildings that now comprise the Mayton Transfer Lofts have had many owners and tenants in its 100-year history. Tobacco, peanuts, even liquor and cars were sold and distributed from the warehouses here.
The most prominent owner was T.W. Mayton, who, in the 1930s, purchased a majority of the connected warehouses here and operated a moving and storage business, distributing goods to the city from trains which off-loaded goods behind the building. The company also specialized in transporting huge, unwieldy loads like church bells, bridge girders and houses. The Mayton family operated from the buildings for more than 70 years.
The property was purchased from the Mayton Family in 2003. Construction began in 2007, and the final phase was completed in 2012. We were proud to carry on the history and legacy of this wonderful historic property. After successfully operating the property for years, the Mayton Transfer Lofts were sold to Capital Square 1031 for $21.5 million in June 2018, the largest private investment in the City of Petersburg in decades.
Mayton Transfer Lofts